Followers

Monday, November 21, 2011

The POKE of LIFE!!!

Today marked a special day. I became a blood donor with the American Red Cross. There were two previous attempts made to do this, but my irons levels were not high enough. So I was denied the opportunity to give. At those times, I'd leave sad, and in tears because I so badly wanted to give life to someone in need. Five days before today, I began taking iron pills, hoping that my hemoglobin levels would be high enough. AND THEY WERE!!!! Grateful, excited and ready to withstand that poke, the poke of life!!!! The phlebotomist named Karen could probably do this blindfolded, as she moved around the mobile unit, knowing exactly what tube went where and what numbers to write down. She gave me a red heart to squeeze as she put a tourniquet around my upper arm. Karen drew 2 arrows at the inside crease of the fold in my arm. Then the iodine was swabbed on the area to be poked. In one quick second, the needle was in and I was squeezing that red heart. As I laid there looking out the window, pumping my blood into the bag, I wondered who would be the recipient of this donation. Who would live one extra day, one extra month, one extra year because of someone's blood donation? Would I ever need a transfusion? Would my children or my husband? And if they did, would there be supply enough for them? My mind wandered with all of these thoughts. Then it was over. The pint bag was full, and I was finished. Only 10 minutes, and one poke, and it didn't even hurt!


When I rest my head tonight, I will thank God for the American Red Cross and the magnificent work they do. And for all the donors out there. For without donations of blood,  a life might not be able to be saved.


I'm grateful that I was able to receive the poke of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment