Followers

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Does it have to be on your bucket list?

Two years ago I participated in a contest within my business. I'm very contest driven and love the process. This was a challenge that took approximately 10 weeks. On the third week we were asked to list 100 lifetime dreams, which turned into my bucket list. It wasn't difficult to start, but when I reached #79 I was finding it extremely hard to continue. I actually needed to stop and think. Ponder on the first 78. "Oh I know what #79 could be, to finish this list". And that's what I did. And I could even scratch the first accomplishment off the list, #79!!!! I took this very seriously mind you. So serious that I have already scratched 14 items off to date. There are a variety of things on my bucket list; to return to college, and I did January 2011. Lose 25 pounds, I did because of eliminating ALL processed sugar from my diet. To get a red microwave, and I received one for Christmas 2010. To be on a regular workout, and I am with ballet classes twice a week. To be a singer at Rally for Premier Designs, and I was July 2011. There are many more yet to be accomplished. But the one thing that IS NOT on my bucket list is being involved in a Beauty Pageant.  And I am. My dear friend Kim, who is the title holder for MRS. USA, All World Beauties, encouraged me to consider sending my application in to compete in the MRS. Kansas pageant. This threw me completely off guard. It wasn't on my bucket list. Thought maybe, I'm too old. And why? Why would I want to do this? It took 6 weeks of prayer, thought and dialogue with my husband. Then one day, I was on the phone with 2 different girlfriends who were both struggling with life, with kids, with marriage with finances, you name it. I listened, then I encouraged, motivated, encouraged more, listened to the sobs, shared like experiences and how I got through and told them both that I believed in them and knew they would overcome. That's when it hit me........I want to make a difference in every woman that I meet. I want each one to feel the encouragement and support that I too once needed so badly. I sent in my application just under the deadline and anxiously waited for a reply. The reply came and I was chosen to represent this awesome community I live in, Wichita, Kansas. I was thrilled beyond belief. ( the MRS. category does not require a preliminary competition). Because of my passion for public speaking and my desire to encourage, my hope is that this opportunity will open doors to accomplish what I am setting out to do, to reach more women.


Dress for Success has become my platform. This is a non-profit organization that helps low-income women make tailored transitions into the workforce. The mission of Dress for Success is to promote the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life. BINGO! I found a match for my passion! 


Since accepting my title as MRS. Wichita All World Beauties, I have added this to my bucket list with different words. To celebrate women of all walks of life, past, present and future.

                                  October 29, 2011 Dress for Success "Boo & Brew" Fundraiser








                                                                 
                                                                          Below
  My first public appearance as MRS. Wichita, All World Beauties, interviewed on ABC KAKE 10

No comments:

Post a Comment