Followers

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

My Pageant Verse

"Each one should test his own actions. Then he can take pride in himself without comparing himself to somebody else, for each one should carry his own load". Galatians 6:4-5

Earlier in the week I was listening to Dr. David Jeremiah. He was talking about the book of Galatians. At the close of his sermon, he encouraged all of his listeners to read this book. Well that wouldn't be difficult for me as I love reading scripture. I love the history, I love learning about God and His love for us, salvation, and having "aha" moments.

This morning, as I sat on the deck with coffee in hand, I continued reading the book of Galatians. Coming upon the 6th chapter and the 4th verse, I gasped! I had to read it again. And again. And again. I went to the footnotes of my NIV and this is what it said:

             "When you do your very best, you feel good about the results. There is no need to compare yourself with others. People make comparisons for many reasons. Some point out others flaws in order to feel better about themselves. Others simply want reassurance that they are doing well. When you are tempted to compare, look at Jesus Christ. His example will inspire you to do your very best, and his loving acceptance will comfort you when you fall short of your expectations."

God had this word for me today! I claim it, I own it!  If I am tempted to compare myself to another, I will remember Jesus' acceptance of me. When my focus stays on the Lord, there is no reason for fear, nervousness or anxiety. This is not about me but about the one who will be glorified through this.

I am grateful that God cares enough about me to give me this verse as I will carry it with me throughout the entire week that I am at Nationals reminding me of who and whose I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment