Followers

Monday, May 28, 2012

Touched by a bagel


It was so cold last night. As I looked out the window into the dark, I couldn't help but pray for outside animals and the homeless. I prayed that there would be warm shelter for them both. Today, God provided an opportunity for me to be His hands and feet to a homeless man on the downtown streets of Wichita. Sitting in Mead's Corner with a friend, I noticed a man with head phones on pacing back and forth. When I looked again, he was rummaging through the trash can and eating from what little bits he could find. Feeling led, I bought some food and a glass of water and walked down the street to see him rummaging through another trash can. Approaching this man I wasn't nervous, I wasn't scared and I was not embarrassed.  He took the head phones off, and just looked at me. I extended the bag of food and water and told him it was food for him. He sheepishly took it, while his hands were swollen from the cold, his nose was running and his eyes were slanted and looked tired. I couldn't help but feel the Lord's spirit with me and in me. I had a difficult time holding the tears back as I shared my encounter with my girlfriend as I returned to Mead's. It doesn't matter how this man got to the point of homelessness. The point is, he is without a home, without a dollar, without a loved one. Some people scold the homeless, others have pity and move on. But true compassion, true mercy are rare attributes to have. It is so easy to judge, to pity, to look the other way and pretend you don't see it. The truth is, HOMELESSNESS IS A REALITY!

Before I began writing this note, I turned to scripture, and no kidding.....this is the verse I turned to.......

Proverbs 14:31    "He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker,
                              but whoever is kind to the needy honors God."

To be one of God's servants is the absolute BEST job I will ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment