Followers

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Bond with Ballet!!!

I looked at the clock and it said 5:03 am. I knew the alarm was set for 6:30 and wondered why was I awake so early? Lying in bed, I began stretching my legs feeling the pain from yesterday's ballet class. I was quickly reminded that I am not 15 anymore, but 53! Continuing to stretch, just to be able to get out of bed, a gentle prompting came over me to put into words what my heart has been singing for the past two weeks, in spite of the groaning my muscles have been expressing.

I was merely 5 years old when I first entered a ballet studio. I really don't remember much of that time except what I was told. "Honey, you were full of so much energy (ha! that's a nice way of saying I was HYPER), that mommy needs a break from this, energy", saith my mom! Hence a life began. A place of refuge, a place of acceptance, a place of challenge, and a place of sweet reward. Little did I know then, just how much ballet would be in my blood, my mind, my heart, my soul. Progressing into my art, came a lot of dedication and determination. Taking classes all through high school and performing with several ballet companies, I began to realize that this is all I know! This is all I wanted to know! Even my high school peers knew me as the "Ballerina". I would do anything to dance; I cleaned the ballet studios in order to pay for my classes, I sacrificed the latest fashion to be able to have my point shoes, I chose ballet over cheerleading. At the age of 21, I moved to NYC and studied under some very prominent names; Melissa Hayden, David Howard, Joffrey. Fear of success brought me to the next chapter of my life..........I walked away from the only thing I knew and loved, and stopped! Quit! Never looked back, until I was 30 years old. Upon returning home, to the comfort of my family, I was able to reconnect and reconcile with my love, dance! Re-entering the studio at that time was like putting on an old shoe. However, aging to 30, it was obvious that my body and my feet were not able to do what it once did. So I settled for other aspects of this art, doing simple things like ACT I in Nutcracker and being involved as much as I could. Getting married at 34 and having children at 36 and 39, Ballet was no longer a priority. At age 39, my mother died. My mom died, My best friend died. My encourager died. and at that time, BALLET DIED~That was 14 years ago. Re-entering the college world in January 2011 with my major being performing arts, I took the risk and registered for BALLET I this semester. I have now taken 4 classes. The joy in my heart cannot be expressed in words. This love that has been dormant in my soul for 14 years has been resurrected beyond expectation. The muscles remember, the alignment is still there, the poise exists, and the willingness to do the best I can has never left me. Same old shoes, same ballet bar, same love! June, Jill, Nancy, Nathalie, Barbara Jean,and now Denise, from the bottom of my heart I am so grateful to you for all that you have given to me in the world of dance. I thank my mom! For her sacrificial giving, her support, her pride, and the words that resonate within my heart, "YOU CAN DO THIS"

No comments:

Post a Comment